Le Boudoir de Marie-Antoinette

Prenons une tasse de thé dans les jardins du Petit Trianon

AccueilAccueil  PortailPortail  RechercherRechercher  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  

Partagez

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas)

AuteurMessage
pimprenelle

pimprenelle

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Empty
MessageSujet: "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas)   "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Icon_minitimeSam 4 Oct - 6:15

La pièce iconoclaste de David Adjimi va être jouée incessamment sous peu au Stages Repertory Theatre de Houston, au Texas.

http://www.houstonpress.com/locations/stages-repertory-theatre-9241/

Dernière édition par pimprenelle le Sam 4 Oct - 9:03, édité 1 fois
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
pimprenelle

pimprenelle

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Empty
MessageSujet: Re: "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas)   "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Icon_minitimeSam 4 Oct - 6:18

Stages Repertory Theatre to Present MARIE ANTOINETTE, 10/8-11/2

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) 23639610

Stages Repertory Theatre will present MARIE ANTOINETTE by David Adjmi, October 8 - November 2, 2014. Produced in cooperation with the University of Houston School of Theatre & Dance, the play will be directed by Leslie Swackhamer and stars Emily Neves in the title role.

How's a queen to keep her head in the middle of a revolution? David Adjmi's oh-so-modern Queen Marie delights her confidantes with wild whims and inspires her subjects with three-foot wigs and extravagant haute couture. But as economic tensions rise and the chants of the mobs grow louder, Marie's place in the world is rapidly going out of style. History gets an of-the-moment makeover in this raw, fantastical and fiercely funny play.

Performance Times: Wednesdays & Thursdays 7:30p, Fridays & Saturdays 8:00p, Sundays 3:00p
Run Time: This show is approximately 2 hours long including one fifteen-minute intermission.
Tickets: $19 - $65
To Purchase: Call 713.527.0123 or visit www.stagestheatre.com.

Leslie Swackhamer returns to direct the Regional Premiere of David Adjmi's Marie Antoinette. At Stages, Leslie also has directed Failure: A Love Story; In the Next Room...or, the Vibrator Play; Rabbit Hole; Amy's View; The Great American Trailer Park Musical; and The Andrews Brothers. Emily Neves makes her Stages debut as Marie Antoinette in this production.

Marie Antoinette had its world premiere in a co-production in 2012 at A.R.T./Harvard and Yale Repertory Theatre. The show later made its New York premiere at 2013 at Soho Rep.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/houston/article/Stages-Repertory-Theatre-to-Present-MARIE-ANTOINETTE-108-112-20140828

pimprenelle

MessageSujet: Re: "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas)   "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Icon_minitimeSam 4 Oct - 6:20

Marie Antoinette: Celebrity Scapegoat of the 18th Century

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Mariem10

We all know the story of Marie Antoinette: spoiled rich queen who got rather severely punished when the people of France got tired of all the partying. Several authors and directors (Sofia Coppola for one) have taken turns retelling her story and playwright David Adjmi is one of them.
Stages Repertory Theatre is bringing Adjmi's vision to its stage complete with sky high hairdos, gorgeous ball gowns and a truth-telling sheep (a surreal element) who attempts a lifestyle intervention for the girl from Austria (sadly unsuccessful).

Sam Houston University prof Leslie Swackhamer is back in Houston to direct the two-act Marie Antoinette with its 12-member cast and has discarded the starker version presented in New York City.
"Fashion and excess is what Marie Antoinette is all about; you're going to get some fashion and some excess. It's going to be quite a feast for the eyes in terms of design," she says.

Swackhamer predicts that audiences will discover that the title character was not all bad. "Marie Antoinette was just a very convenient scapegoat sort of like our celebrities right now. She was 14 years old when she went to France to marry. That's a pretty young girl.. And then Louis XV died unexpectedly so they were teenagers when they were made king and queen. There's certain things about them you actually like including she's got spirit in the face of quite a number of obstacles. Surprisingly you get to where you actually like her."

Although set in the Eighteenth Century, the dialogue is all in the modern vernacular, and Swackhamer says the story really resonates with audiences today. "Every major fashion designer has done a collection on Marie Antoinette. She's our first celebrity devoured by her own sense of celebrity. The ultimate fashion victim."

Marie Antoinette opens October 8 and continues through November 2 at Stages Repertory Theatre, 3201 Allen Parkway. Performances are scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays; 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays; 3 p.m. Sundays. For information, call 713-527-0123 or visit stagestheatre.com. $19 to $54.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/2014/10/marie_antoinetteem_celebrity_scapegoat_of_the_18th_century.php

pimprenelle

MessageSujet: Re: "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas)   "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Icon_minitimeSam 4 Oct - 9:05

A priori, vu le look de l'actrice principale, on peut s'attendre à une perception un rien plus classique que dans la dernière production. "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) 35958
http://maria-antonia.forumactif.com/t5847-marie-antoinette-let-them-eat-cake-de-david-adjimi-au-woolly-mammoth-theatre?highlight=adjimi

pimprenelle

MessageSujet: Re: "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas)   "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Icon_minitimeSam 4 Oct - 9:11

'Marie Antoinette' continues to fascinate
By Everett Evans

In the pantheon of history's most fascinating women, Marie Antoinette ranks with Cleopatra and Elizabeth I.

Perhaps it's society's fascination with women in power or the tragic dimensions of her brief life, but Marie Antoinette's story continues to be told and retold, discussed, dissected and dramatized. Recent examples include Sofia Coppola's 2006 film "Marie Antoinette" and Stanton Welch's "Marie," premiered by Houston Ballet in 2011.

Stages unveils the legend's newest avatar Friday with its regional premiere of "Marie Antoinette," playwright David Adjmi's post-modern, 21st-century take on the ill-fated 18th-century queen.

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Zadjim11
Emily Neves

The play premiered at Yale Repertory Theatre in 2012 and enjoyed a much-discussed off-Broadway run in 2013. Adjmi, who grew up in Brooklyn with his Syrian Jewish family, in the past six years has established himself as an up-and-coming dramatist. With the premiere of his "The Evildoers" at Yale Rep in 2008, Variety heralded "a writer with a distinctive voice, ambition and style."

What inspired Adjmi to write his version of Marie Antoinette's oft-revisited saga?

"People keep asking that," Adjmi says. "So much that I started lying a bit. But the truth is there was no impulse. I was at the McDowell Colony, working on another play, and I got stuck. Feeling 'I can't write this.' I was sitting reading a completely unrelated book, and all of a sudden I got this preternatural flash to write a play about Marie Antoinette - a figure from history that I didn't know anything about. I just had this strange intuition I should do it."

As he wrote the play, however, Adjmi realized he was dealing with the same questions, issues and conflicts central to all his plays. One of his key themes is what it means to be a privileged person in society and whether that is mainly a matter of money.

Adjmi describes many of the characters he's written as "financially privileged but very deprived spiritually" - which is certainly one way of looking at Marie Antoinette.

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Zadj10

Some see the profligate, luxury-loving queen as the instrument of her own downfall. Others counter she was forced into marriage to Louis XVI as a young girl and fell into the luxurious lifestyle expected of someone in those circumstances - that in her ultimate execution by merciless forces of the French Revolution, she was simply an innocent victim of circumstance.

Innocent victim or greedy parasite? Adjmi prefers to avoid either extreme.

"I tend to be very empathic toward my characters, especially to people we might label as villains," Adjmi says. "I want to try to understand them because to me that's a much more interesting way to solve social problems. I'm not afraid of exposing someone's flaws, but if we shame them for those flaws, make them villains - that's too easy."

In fact, Adjmi says, most people share Marie Antoinette's flaws of selfishness, wastefulness, insensitivity - just not to such conspicuous extremes. He makes an interesting diagnosis of her chief failing: "a gigantic version of shopping addiction." Further, he suggests that came about because she was a "broken person" who, despite her position, actually had limited power to change things.

"She was a woman who was inserted into this chess game of political machinations," Adjmi says. "And she was deliberately blinded by the people who bilked her into it. I believe you can be in a position of power and still be powerless - used and squeezed dry by it."

Stages artistic director Kenn McLaughlin says several factors made the play a must for his company.

"David's voice is so fresh and unique," McLaughlin says. "He works across different idioms as freely as any playwright, different styles and modes of speaking. This play has the contemporary and classical crashing into each other, which creates a bifurcated, history-repeating-itself quality."

McLaughlin sees great contemporary relevance in the play's look at excess and extreme inequity in society - and what they may lead to, if unchecked. The other particularly relevant factor is its look at the cult of celebrity and extravagance. As with so many famous individuals, he says, the enormous myth that surrounds Marie Antoinette does not represent the person she really was. The play's process of stripping away the myth to reveal the individual is reflected in the physical production's trajectory from lavish ornamentation to simplicity.

"The play doesn't judge her or the way her life turned out," McLaughlin says. "It looks at her life and asks: 'What does it mean? And why are we so fascinated with this woman hundreds of years later?'"

Adjmi wants each playgoer to make a genuine investment in "Marie Antoinette."

"I think people need to think critically about what is happening in the play, "Adjmi says, "and take from it what they can take from it. The play asks for a certain kind of creativity, of creative work, from the audience. Just as it is asking Marie to be creative about the circumstances of her life and the world around her."

'Marie Antoinette'

When: Previews at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday-Thursday, opens at 8 p.m. Friday; 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays-Thursdays, 8 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays, 3 p.m. Sundays, through Nov. 2

Where: Stages Repertory Theatre, 3201 Allen Parkway

Tickets: $19-$65; 713-527-0123, stagestheatre.com

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/arts-theater/article/Marie-Antoinette-continues-to-fascinate-5799659.php#/2

Wait and see... Cool

pimprenelle

MessageSujet: Re: "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas)   "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Icon_minitimeLun 13 Oct - 20:41

pimprenelle

MessageSujet: Re: "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas)   "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Icon_minitimeLun 13 Oct - 20:43

pimprenelle

MessageSujet: Re: "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas)   "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Icon_minitimeMer 15 Oct - 2:14

Cette mise en scène est nettement moins trash que la précédente. Very Happy
http://maria-antonia.forumactif.com/t5847-marie-antoinette-let-them-eat-cake-de-david-adjimi-au-woolly-mammoth-theatre?highlight=mammoth

Review: Queen rules in Stages' clever 'Marie Antoinette'
By Everett Evans

October 14, 2014

A head is lost but a star is born in Stages' smart, splashy "Marie Antoinette."

Emily Neves, who has done fine work in many featured roles at the Alley and other theaters, gets her first crack at a true star part enacting playwright David Adjmi's modern yet somehow timeless take on the ill-fated 18th-century queen of France. Onstage virtually the entire time - running the gamut from frivolity and slyly ironic humor to terror, rage and despair - she's fantastically good.

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) 1366x110

Audiences will not only be taken by Neves' Marie Antoinette, but also by Adjmi's cleverly constructed script and director Leslie Swackhamer's ingenious production, which makes this multifaceted consideration of the queen an intimate epic to savor.

The play grabs the audience with its funny opening scene of the queen and two court ladies, chit-chatting about clothes and food, marriage and children, all with a clueless, Valley Girl air. This Marie Antoinette seems selfish and superficial. Initially, one wonders whether Adjmi will try to build the entire play from that ironic contrast, setting the anachronistic tone of the lines against the ornate 18th-century garb and the tragic fate we know will befall the queen.

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) 1366x112

Yet soon enough, Adjmi gives Marie Antoinette flashes of awareness about the people's anger, the failures of the aristocracy, the vile rumors being spread. Her life at court is not all frivolity and luxury; her marriage to the childlike Louis XVI is problematic, and they argue constantly about money. As the problems mount, Marie Antoinette becomes an increasingly sympathetic figure.

Adjmi reiterates enough of Marie Antoinette's saga to suggest she was more pawn than tyrant - the young archduchess of Austria who'd been forced into marriage to France's future king at age 14, never trained or prepared for anything else. By the time she understands the true nature of her situation, and that of France, it's too late. From the final scene of Act 1, showing her confrontation with a surly Revolutionary, her fate seems sealed - despite a futile attempt at escape with her hapless husband and young son.

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) 1366x113

The play tells Marie Antoinette's story with wit, understanding and, as the narrative follows its inexorable course to the tragic finale, increasing urgency. Adjmi arranges key scenes as dialogues between Marie Antoinette and another figure, juxtaposing the views of others with the heroine's changing perception of herself. Imaginative touches include the philosophical sheep, with whom the queen enjoys a particularly enlightening conversation.

Swackhamer, who's directed some of Stages' strongest productions, including "Failure: A Love Story" and "Rabbit Hole," has enhanced Adjmi's script with astute staging and steady pace. Barry Doss' sumptuous costumes and Ryan McGettigan's ingenious production design, stressing large neon sculptures in ever-changing hues, give the production a striking, original visual profile.

Neves fully inhabits the title role, from her early playful thoughtlessness, through increasing trepidation, and, finally, tragic understanding - at least, understanding of how much she can never fully understand or control. Her bursts of furor at the situation into which she has been led and her anguished pleas for humane consideration are nakedly real and affecting.

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) 1366x114

Mitchell Greco cuts the requisite sad, silly figure as infantile Louis XVI, who would rather play with his clocks than rule. David Matranga is stalwart and resolute as Swedish noble Axel Fersen, who loves Marie Antoinette. Luis Galindo brings an air of sober dignity to that prescient sheep. Shawn Hamilton lends terse authority as Austrian Emperor Joseph. And Robin LeMon and Kelley Peters help get the play off to a rousing start with their deft dishing in the opening scene with the queen.

Stages' "Marie Antoinette" registers as a triumph of writing, production and performance. Who cares what those ruffians of the revolution thought of our heroine? As Marie Antoinette declares in an 11th-hour epiphany, her name and fame live on. Theater can improve on life and, at Stages, Marie Antoinette rules!

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) 1366x115

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/arts-theater/article/Review-Queen-rules-in-Stages-clever-Marie-5821898.php#/4

pimprenelle

MessageSujet: Re: "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas)   "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Icon_minitimeSam 18 Oct - 12:30

Une petite vidéo pour vous permettre de vous faire une idée de ce spectacle. Vous allez voir, c'est curieux, Marie Antoinette passe d'une mode à l'autre... Shocked

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Zcuk10

N'est-ce singulier de la voir ainsi vêtue?  Shocked

story comes alive on stage in this week's CultureMap Moment.

"Marie Antoinette" is playing now at Stages Repertory Theatre. It follows her rise and fall in becoming queen of France in her late teens.

In this David Adjimy adaptation, just add humor.

"This is a modern play this is in modern English with hilarious and witty language and she does get her head cut off at the end and that's kinda sad but it starts with her talking in 'valley speak,'" Joel Luks, of Culture Map, said.

Valley speak is just part of the fun during this two-hour play.

There are no accents, and lead actress Emily Neves says you'll love hearing phrases we actually say every day.

"Marie is leaving her lover she kind of steps away and looks back and she says 'call me' and the audience says, 'Call me on what?' Neves said.

And despite Marie Antoinette's notorious reputation, you will still understand her flaws.

"We can all relate to a character who has to deal with circumstances that they didn't choose for themselves," Luks said.

"David Ajimy did a really good job of portraying her humanity and making her a sympathetic character," Neves said.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/features/2014/10/17/culture-map-moment-different-take-on-marie-antoinette/17428627/

pimprenelle

MessageSujet: Re: "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas)   "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Icon_minitimeVen 31 Oct - 9:25

Et aïe donc! La reine est maintenant une Valley Girl!
http://houston.culturemap.com/news/entertainment/10-30-14-marie-antoinette-is-a-valley-girl-new-production-casts-french-queen-in-a-whole-new-light/

Tout ceci ne me donne pas envie de voir ce spectacle mais plutôt de jouer à Jojo Fashion Show... "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) 85158

madame antoine

MessageSujet: Re: "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas)   "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Icon_minitimeSam 1 Nov - 10:57

Bonjour,

Cette production-ci semble cependant plus classique que celle que nous venons d'avoir à Washington.

http://maria-antonia.forumactif.com/t5847-marie-antoinette-let-them-eat-cake-de-david-adjimi-au-woolly-mammoth-theatre

madame antoine

pimprenelle

MessageSujet: Re: "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas)   "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Icon_minitimeDim 9 Nov - 12:25

On en a moins parlé dans les médias que de la production de Washington... parce que moins scandaleuse? Wink Toujours est-il que le spectacle monté à Houston rencontre son public et connaît un succès tel qu'il a obtenu une prolongation. Very Happy

MARIE GETS ANOTHER WEEK!

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Img_6510

Due to popular demand, Marie Antoinette has been held over through November 9!

That's 5 more chances to see the show the Houston Chronicle called "fantastically good...a triumph of writing, production and performance"

http://stagestheatre.com/

Rolling Eyes Marie... Marie... Laquelle? Marie Caroline? Marie Josèphe? Marie Amélie? Nan??? Pas Marie Thérèse, tout de même?! "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) 49856

Quand donc nos amis d'outre-Atlantique se feront-ils à l'idée que, pour les Habsbourg, Marie, c'est une marque dynastique. Wink Le prénom auquel répondait l'archiduchesse venait donc après la protection de la Vierge. "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) 887322

La nôtre, c'est Antoinette. "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) 405462 Si vous voulez faire court, vous pouvez essayer Antoine... du moins si elle l'accepte, parce que cest son petit nom intime... "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) 405462

madame antoine

MessageSujet: Re: "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas)   "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Icon_minitimeMar 11 Nov - 13:02

Bonjour,

Voici quelques photos de ce spactacle.

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Tumblr11

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Tumblr10

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Tumblr12

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Tumblr11

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Tumblr13

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Tumblr14

http://vivelareine.tumblr.com/

Nos impressions se confirment. Il semble que, tout en prenant beaucoup de distance par rapport à la véracité historique, cette mise-en-scène soit moins iconoclaste que la précédente.

madame antoine

MessageSujet: Re: "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas)   "Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas) Icon_minitime

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

"Marie Antoinette" de David Adjimi au Stages Repertory Theatre (Houston, Texas)
Page 1 sur 1